1.06.2011

How Bad Do You Want It?

It’s January 6th. By now a lot of people who have made New Year’s resolutions are giving up. Less than a week into the year they have apparently run out of gas. Did you have one?

Bigger question: Is there something you always say you want, something you tell everybody you are all about, a dream in your heart that you say you’re working towards? If the answer to that is ‘yes’, then I have another question: Are you really pursuing it?

I watch people all the time, young and old, go from being crazy excited about something to not doing a thing in the world about it. They get discouraged when they meet any resistance; they give up when things don’t fall perfectly into place the first time they try. Basically, they want this amazing dream to just fall into their lap without putting forth any real effort…and when that doesn’t happen, they jump ship.

It irks me enough when people won’t follow through on the big plans they have and talk about to everyone, but it absolutely sets my righteous anger ablaze when people won’t act on what they’ve been given straight from God. There’s a distinction here. Yes, God puts dreams and passions in you, and you should definitely follow them (and you know I write about that a lot), but sometimes it’s bigger.

For example, I like to travel. I might make a New Year’s resolution that I will save enough money this year to go to Europe. That’s something I would just like to do. Also, I love music. So I made up my mind a long time ago that I’d like to be in a band. After talking about it for years, I finally formed one. God put that passion for music in me and I’m living out one of my dreams right now.

But here’s where it gets bigger. While I do like traveling, and I do have a passion and talent for music, there are some things that go to that next level. I KNOW I’m supposed to lead worship. I know it because what started as something that was just another way to do music became a passion I burned for. I found myself being a better expression of who I am created to be when engaging in worship. The desires of my heart started to change when I entered into the presence of God and just loved on Him and let Him love on me. And then I started hearing from God about leading worship—how to do it, how not to do it, etc. He told me to leave one place so I could be open to going somewhere else. He gives me words to speak while leading worship. I’ve had people prophesy over me about my role in leading worship. These things are next level things! These are things God has told me!

When people ignore this kind of thing in their life, it kills me. Do you think following the voice of God is always going to be easy? Do you think that it won’t require lots of effort and sacrifice? Of course it is going to be hard at times, and you will probably have to give up a lot in your obedience. But you’ve got to make up your mind that you are just going to do it—no matter what other people say, or what obstacles are put in your path.

It really boils down to how bad you want it. Is it worth giving up comfort, money, recognition, approval?? Is it worth pushing through walls and beating on doors until they finally open?? Is being obedient to your Creator and Lover of Your Soul important enough to you to lay down everything else so you can become what you’re intended to be?? I know it is.

I can promise you it’ll never be more than you can handle with Him on your side. Pray for strength and perseverance and He will faithfully give it to you. Father, I pray for strength and perseverance to follow You and live out what You’ve told me. Give me clearer direction on what to do and the boldness to do it. In Jesus Christ of Nazareth’s holy name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment