8.31.2010

Boldness and Fear

There have been a couple of different things I’ve considered writing about over the past few days, but one dual topic comes back to me more than the rest. That dual topic is boldness and fear. Let me explain… and it’s gonna be a little more random than usual :)

Boldness, to me, is wrapped up very closely with faith. When your faith is large, then boldness to share that faith in any circumstance flows naturally. When you know something, then you have no problem telling about it and acting on it. It’s when you have doubts about your beliefs that timidity and uncertainty set in. Thus, when the time comes to actually put your faith into action, fear can come swooping in and paralyze you.

For me, the most common way this manifests itself is when I’m in a public place (at the mall, at a ball game, at work—basically anywhere but church) and I have the opportunity to do something for God. Whether it is the urge to pray for someone, the opportunity to witness, or an occasion arises to just step in and make sure justice is given to the helpless, I sometimes hesitate. My mind starts to wonder things like, “What if I pray for them to be healed and it doesn’t happen?” “What if they laugh at what I say?” “What if this guy beats me up for getting in his business?” All of these questions stem from fear. Even though I can feel the Lord pushing me to do/say something, I have given fear a voice in my decision-making process.

Those times that I give in to the fear, I walk away so mad at myself. Only later, after the heat of the moment has cooled, will I start to see how my timidity was foolish. The main reason I have for not doing what I know God wants me to in certain situations springs from stupid crap; i.e. I’m scared of what people will think about me. Additionally, the hesitation can spring from a lack of faith. If I genuinely believe what is written in the Bible about healing, will I not pray for the sick with more boldness? If I genuinely believe that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, then won’t I witness that to more people? If I really think it my duty to carry out the will of God and make sure that nobody is taken advantage of, then won’t I speak up for the widows, orphans, and powerless every time I see it happening?

The answer to having more boldness so you can do these things is increasing your faith. You increase your faith by reading the Word, walking out what you read, praying and talking to the Lord, and experiencing the work of God firsthand. As you see the truths of God manifest in your life and in the lives of those around you, fear loses its stronghold. You worry less about what people think of you; you start to care more about God’s opinion of you.

There is a Jason Upton song I was reciting the other day that says, “In your presence, all fear is gone.” How true. When we are covered in the presence of God, fear has no residence. I pray that you press into the life-changing presence of the Lord more and more. That fiery presence is what pushes out fear and raises up boldness. Please pray for me, too. I need that boldness now more than ever.

May God bless each of you richly and deeply through His Son Jesus Christ.

In His Never-Ending and Boundless Love,

adam

1 comment:

  1. Oh Adam, you definitely just summarized my own feelings in this blog in regards to my faith as well. I pray for boldness for both of us to do the Lord's will and be the strong and fearless Christians he wants us to be.

    ReplyDelete