7.06.2010

Get Out of the Shade!

One of the things I get to do around the house every week is mow the yard. I kind of like it because it’s a pretty simple task and one that lets me be to myself for a few hours. There’s only one spot in the whole yard I usually have trouble with—this big patch of grass that is situated under two big shade trees. It’s hard to see the line of where I’ve already mowed when I’m under those trees because the grass doesn’t grow as much. The rest of the lawn could have grown six inches, but under the shade trees there just isn’t much to mow.

The explanation for this is rather simple: the sun doesn’t shine there. No matter where the sun is in the sky, those massive trees keep that patch of grass from getting any of the light. While rain still gets through by dripping down the leaves, the sun is completely shielded from nurturing.

Now I don’t remember from Science class exactly how photosynthesis works, but I do know that plants need both water and sunlight to grow. Whenever there is an insufficient amount of either ingredient the plant will suffer.

I think the Church, as a whole, is like that grass in the shade; we’ve been starving ourselves of one part of an equation that has two components.

Our understanding of who God is and what He is doing on the earth comes from two central places: knowledge and experience. When I use the term knowledge, I’m talking about studying God, learning from a more intellectual standpoint. Gaining knowledge of God could come from reading the Bible, learning church history, dissecting specific passages of Scripture, listening to sermons, or hearing stories of how the Lord has moved in other people’s lives. All of these things add to our understanding of God’s heart, His character, and what He desires of us.

This aspect of the equation is something that the Church excels in. You can find endless numbers of strategies to help you read the entire Bible, thousands of websites dedicated to different interpretations of Scripture, podcasts of sermons from any style minister imaginable, and seas of Christian literature designed to help you in any area of your walk of faith. Knowledge is something that we do well.

But what about experience? What about the relational aspect of the equation, the experiential portion? Is this something that we are equally versed in?

When I use the term experience, I’m talking about actually interacting with God, seeing what He does with you personally. I’m not talking about just reading about God, or hearing about God, and knowing what He can do, but witnessing first-hand what He is doing. I’m talking about praying to God for direction and you getting an answer; I’m talking about praying for healing and it comes; I’m talking about boldly proclaiming the Gospel and people being saved; I’m talking about taking what you’ve heard from the Spirit in your prayer time and sharing it with others.

This side of the equation requires more than one-way communication; it involves more than reading, and listening to other people talk. This is where you and God interact, you work together—you seek Him out, and He shows up. You take all of those things you’ve learned about Him, the truths that you believe, and you see them play out in a unique way in your own life. You see His purposes play out through you.

Whereas knowledge tends to be more about learning what God has done before, experience is seeing God’s power in action right now. While it is imperative to have true knowledge and sound doctrine, it is equally important to have an ever-growing, ever-deepening experience with the Lord.

I want you to ask yourself: “When was the last time I prayed and got an answer?” “When was the last time that I know I heard from God?” If you are having a hard time with that question, you are not alone. The vast majority of the Church is deficient when it comes to personal experience with the Lord. Though it is not something that we should be proud of, it is definitely something that is fixable.

In Revelation 3:20, God says, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” God is waiting for an opportunity to dine with you. Your knowledge of who He is and what He has done before assures you that He will be faithful to reveal Himself to you in a more personal manner as you set your heart on pursuing just that. He will most certainly respond to you when you call out for Him.

Lastly, remember that you do not have to give up going deeper in your knowledge of Christ in order to experience Him. In fact, these two go hand-in-hand. This is a just a call to not neglect the other part of the equation. This part, the experience, is what brings your faith to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment